Students interested in the Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program at USC should stop by the Rampey Center, Room 125 on Monday, Sept. 26 from 4 to 5 p.m. An information session about the McNair Summer Program will be available.
The Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program helps TRIO-eligible undergraduates to prepare for and pursue graduate degrees. The program seeks to expand educational opportunities for first-generation college students, disabled students, and low-income students. The program includes a six-week summer research component, faculty mentoring, and research experiences.
Students receive a number of benefits from participating in the McNair Program:
Close relationships with faculty research advisors and mentors
- Opportunities to publish in a variety of professional and academic journals
- Opportunities for presenting research findings
- Advisement on graduate school enrollment
- Summer orientation to graduate school and academic careers
- A $2,700 stipend for completing summer research and academic year activities
In order to be considered for acceptance into the Ronald E. McNair program, an applicant must be:
1. A U.S. citizen or resident alien,
2. A regularly enrolled student at a 4-year college or university in South Carolina,
3. A first-generation, low-income student or a member of an underrepresented minority in doctoral studies, and
4. Willing to seriously consider the possibility of continuing his or her studies in a doctoral program and show potential for success in this pursuit. In addition, USC TRiO requires applicants to have completed at least 60 course credit hours toward a baccalaureate degree with at least 15 hours left to complete by May 2014. Students with previous TRiO involvement receive enrollment preference. STEM majors are especially encouraged to apply. If selected for participation, students must participate in the six-week Summer Research Component (SRC), May 10-June 27, 2014.
For questions, contact Laura Smith, tutor coordinator in the Academic Support Center,at 503-5370 or firstname.lastname@example.org .