In order to provide more timely responses to emergency calls, the University of South Carolina Upstate Department of Public Safety is pleased to announce a partnership with Spartanburg County Communications/911 Call Center.
On Friday, January 30, 2015, members of the University community should dial 911 for all emergency situations. For non-emergency situations, please call (864) 503-7777.
When to Call 911
You should call 911 when:
(understand this is not an all-inclusive list)
- You witness a crime in progress on campus.
- You see a fire.
- To report a crime that has already occurred and is not in progress.
- A vehicle accident with injuries.
- You have a medical emergency, such as someone who is unconscious, gasping for air or not breathing, experiencing an allergic reaction, having chest pain, having uncontrollable bleeding, or any other symptoms that require immediate medical attention.
- You feel that you are being physically threatened by someone or something.
- You hear discussion of or see a weapon on campus.
- You are trapped in an elevator.
When to Call USC Upstate Police
You should call (864) 503-7777 when:
(again, this is not an all-inclusive list):
- You need a room unlocked.
- You want to report suspicious circumstances.
- You are inquiring about lost and found property.
- You would like an escort to and from a building or vehicle.
- Have a flat tire.
- Have a weather-related question.
- Have a questions about parking or parking citations.
- Other non-life threatening situations.
For dead batteries and car unlocks, please text (864) 357-3008 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
University police will begin phasing out the current numbers, (864) 503-5911 and (864) 503-5269. Calling 5911 instead of 911 can add some response time to a call in the event of an emergency. The number (864) 503-5269 will be disconnected Jan. 30, however, callers will receive a voice message directing callers to hang up and dial 911 for emergencies and 503-777 for non-emergencies.
Response Time Expectations
When you dial 911 from any IP based phone on campus, your call will be answered by the Spartanburg County Communications/911 Center. USC Upstate police will be alerted that a 911 call has been made and will be dispatched to the location, while 911 dispatchers continue to gather information about the nature of the call.