The May commencement exercises include the presentation of degrees outdoors on the quadrangle behind the Stockwell Administration Building. Chancellor Moore and USC President Harris Pastides will preside at the commencement exercises.
May commencement exercises will be held on Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 6 p.m.
On the day of commencement, the faculty will gather in the lobby of the Media building no later than 5:30 p.m. dressed in full academic regalia. The faculty should be ready to process at 5:45 p.m. before the start of the ceremony and will be announced to the audience prior to processing in. The faculty procession will be lead by a student marshal and will enter the quadrangle through the tent, walking up to the front left section and will enter row by row. Please do not bring any purses or valuables to the Media lobby as there will be no way to secure them.
The Platform Party will assemble in the Stockwell Administration Building lobby no later than 6 p.m. This procession will consist of the recipients of the Excellence in Teaching & Advising Awards, the recipient of the Scholarly and Creative Pursuits award, selected University administrators, deans of the colleges and schools, members of the Spartanburg County Commission for Higher Education and the USC Board of Trustees, the honorary degree recipient(s), clergy, the speaker, Chancellor Moore and President Pastides. The Chair of the Faculty Senate will lead the platform party processional by carrying the University Mace.
In the event of severe weather the ceremony will be moved to the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium. The ceremony time would remain the same. The decision to implement the severe weather plan will be made by 12 noon the day of commencement.
Involved parties will be informed of this decision by the following communication methods:
- The USC Upstate Web site (www.uscupstate.edu)
- Mass Email: students, faculty and staff will be sent an email announcing the change of venue by no later than 12:15p.m. the day of commencement
- Campus and highway electronic signage will announce venue changes
- The university switchboard operator will have all relevant information for those wishing to call campus (864-503-5000) for inclement weather announcements
- Select media outlets will be asked to communicate any severe weather announcements