Rock Hill, S.C. – The USC Upstate men’s cross country team won the 33rd annual Winthrop Adidas Invitational on Saturday morning held at the Winthrop Lake Course.
Upstate and Winthrop tied with 30 points, but the Spartans earned the victory in the Gold (Division I) category on a tiebreaker thanks to having a higher finishing sixth runner. The Upstate women’s team finished in third place with 90 points, just ahead of fourth place Presbyterian College.
“The guys did a great job of running man for man with Winthrop”, head coach Carson Blackwelder said. “It was a close race and came down to our sixth man.”
- The Winthrop Invitational is the first team win for Upstate in 2016 and first since winning the 2015 Eye Opener Invitational
- Upstate placed five runners in the top 10 in the men’s race, led by Alex Love in third place. Dorian Jones and Ereck Lewis each earned their first career top-five finishes.
- The tiebreaker was determined by the sixth place runner. Abraham Hernandez finished in 12th place while Winthrop’s sixth runner crossed the finish line in 15th
- Lewis, Jacob Coccia and Jared Coccia each finished with new personal-best times.
- South Carolina won the women’s Gold race.
- Winthrop’s Kevin Mills won the men’s race while Mary Reiser of South Carolina won the women’s race.
- Leah Jostes posted the best finish for the women’s team after crossing the finish line in 25th
Upstate Women’s Results (5K)
25: Leah Jostes – 20:41.30
26: Haley McCoy – 20:43.90
27: Alicia Chavez – 20:48.50
28: Essence Jackson – 20:49.40
30: Kelsey Warren – 20:55.80
31: Ruby Lewis – 21:19.80
32: Storm-Alexis Gandy – 21:43.20
Upstate Men’s Results (8K)
3: Alex Love – 26:53.5
4: Dorian Jones- 26:54.0
5: Ereck Lewis- 26:56.5
8: Jacob Coccia – 27:29.9
10: Abraham Hernandez – 27:47.3
12: Roman Mealing – 28:02.0
14: Jared Coccia – 28:08.3
16: Marcus Miles – 28:52.4
21: Cory Tate – 30:12.1
22: Jimmy Kaldor – 30:21.3
24: Logan Ray – 30:56.4
- The Spartans return to Milliken Research Park on Saturday, Oct. 1 for the Upstate Invitational.