Joel Bunting scored two goals and dished out one assist to lead the USC Upstate men’s soccer team to a 4-1 non-conference victory over the Gardner-Webb Runnin’ Bulldogs Saturday evening at County University Soccer Stadium.
Upstate improves to 2-1 on the season while Gardner-Webb falls to 1-3
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Three different Spartans scored in the victory led by Bunting’s first two goals of his career, while also dishing out his first career assist.
- Anson Girone and Lennart Gruetzmacher also registered a goal for Upstate, both scoring for the first time in their Spartan career.
- Calon Minors, Victor Borba Labi and Sam Moss, along with Bunting, tallied one assist each.
- Rinaldi Alphonse led Upstate with five shots and Bunting attempted three on-goal.
- David Koloko had a goal for the Runnin’ Bulldogs and led the team with two shots. Severin Soerlie added an assist.
- Santiago Restrepo earned his second career victory in goal for the Spartans and had one save.
- Matthew Swan finished with four saves for Gardner-Webb.
- Upstate held a 17-5 advantage over the Runnin’ Bulldogs in shots, including an 11-4 mark in the second half.
- Bunting scored his first goal of the evening, and of his career, in the 28th minute off a long pass from Calon Minors far side. Minors lofted the ball inside the 18-yard box where Bunting headed the ball past Swan into the net. (USC Upstate 1, Gardner-Webb 0).
- Girone added to the Spartans lead in the 56th minute coming off a corner kick. After the ball was headed clear by the Gardner-Webb defense, Borba Labi’s shot from the top of the 18-yard box bounced over several players. Girone was there to head the ball in a crowd of players as Upstate increased its lead to two. (USC Upstate 2, Gardner-Webb 0).
- Bunting netted his second goal of the game less than 30 seconds after the Runnin’ Bulldogs had cut the lead to one in the 82nd Moss gained possession of the ball far side along the goal line and made a pass back to the middle of the field where Bunting’s shot went under the arms of Swan. (USC Upstate 3, Gardner-Webb 1).
- Gruetzmacher also recorded the first goal of his career in the 89th minute after receiving a quick pass near side from Bunting. The freshman’s one-timer went past the GWU goalkeeper and snuck in the right side of the net. (USC Upstate 4, Gardner-Webb 1).
- Koloko’s first goal of the season trimmed the Spartans lead down to one in the 82nd minute off an assist from Soerlie. Soerlie crossed the ball back to the middle of the field to Koloko, who fired a shot from just over 20 yards out to the left of Restrepo. (USC Upstate 2, Gardner-Webb 1).
- Upstate hits the road for the first time this season on Tuesday, September 13 as it travels to Boone, N.C. to face Appalachian State at 7 p.m.