For the third straight season, the USC Upstate volleyball team defeated the Wofford Terriers by a 3-2 (25-22, 18-25, 24-26, 29-27, 15-12) score as three Spartans finished with double-doubles Tuesday evening inside Benjamin Johnson Arena.
Upstate improves to 7-9 on the season while Wofford falls to 7-7 overall.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- The Spartans had three players record double-doubles against the Terriers in Callie Yeargin, Rebecca Shearer and Madison Haake. Yeargin led Upstate with 14 kills and added 14 digs, while Shearer contributed 11 kills and 10 digs. Haake increased her double-double streak to eight straight matches after compiling 43 assists and 19 digs.
- Emily Koelling added 13 kills and Kaleigh Kelley finished with 21 digs. Montana Swanson, the reigning ASUN Freshman of the Week, also had 17 digs.
- Colleen Reilly and Bijonae Jones both led the Wofford offense with 16 kills, and Jones posted a double-double after recording 18 digs.
- Lorissa King dished out 44 assists for the Terriers and Madeline Savage tallied 23 digs.
- Wofford out-hit Upstate .137 to .122, but the Spartans forced the Terriers into 37 attack errors. Upstate also held a 12.0 to 10.0 advantage in blocks.
- Set One: The Spartans trailed 9-4 early in the first set after back-to-back service aces. Upstate rallied back courtesy of a 14-7 run to lead 18-16 after a kill by Yeargin. The Spartans took their largest lead of the set at 23-18 when Swanson and Koelling combined for a block. Wofford cut the lead down to 23-21, but Upstate would win 25-22 following a kill by Brianna Tellschow.
- Set Two: Swanson kept the Spartans within striking distance to start the second set as they were down 9-8 with her kill. The Terriers used a 7-2 run after that to break the set open at 16-10. Upstate came back with a 5-1 run of its own to cut the deficit down to 17-15. Wofford held the Spartans to just three points after that en route to the 25-18 victory.
- Set Three: The teams traded the first 22 points of the third set and sat tied 11-11 on an Upstate attack error. The Spartans led by as many as five, 16-11, after that on a kill by Koelling. Trailing 22-19 late, the Terriers answered back to even the frame at 22-22 and was the first of three ties over the last seven points. After Koelling made it 24-24 with her kill, Wofford took the next two points to win 26-24.
- Set Four: The fourth set would go into extra points as it began in similar fashion as the third with the score even at 9-9 after a kill from Yeargin. Upstate led by as many as five points four times during the set with the last coming at 21-16 courtesy of Koelling’s kill. The Terriers responded with a 9-4 run to tie the score at 25-25. After exchanging the next four points, the Spartans captured the set 29-27 on Shearer’s kill and a Wofford attack error.
- Set Five: Upstate opened the fifth, and final, set on a 5-2 run and took a three-point lead on an attack error by the Terriers. Wofford scored the next three points before the Spartans benefitted from a 7-1 run to take their largest lead of the set, 12-6, on a block by both Shearer and Koelling. The Terriers would get as close as 12-10 late, but Koelling sealed the 15-12 victory with her kill.
- Upstate opens ASUN play on Saturday, Sept. 24 as it hosts NJIT at 1 p.m.