Montana Swanson set a new career-high with 15 kills to lead the USC Upstate volleyball team to a 3-0 (25-23, 26-24, 25-16) victory over the Jacksonville Dolphins Sunday afternoon inside the Hodge Center.
Upstate improves to 11-11 on the season and 3-2 in conference play, while Jacksonville falls to 4-13 overall and 1-4 in the league.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Swanson recorded the ninth double-double of her career after adding 15 digs to go along with her 15 kills. The freshman also hit .382 for the match.
- Madison Haake dished out 36 assists while Kaleigh Kelley added a match-high 18 digs.
- Jizzyan Gesualdo led the Dolphins with a double-double of 33 assists and 17 digs.
- Olga Nushtayeva had a team-high nine kills for Jacksonville.
- The Spartans out-hit the Dolphins .228 to .179, and held a 49-39 advantage in kills while leading 43-35 in assists.
- Set One: The teams traded the first 12 points of the first set before Upstate scored two straight to lead 8-6 capped by a combination block from Swanson and Emily Koelling. Jacksonville came back to tie the score at 8-8 and would take a 14-11 lead after a kill by Nushtayeva. Three straight kills from Swanson made the score 16-16 and would begin a stretch were the score sat tied three times. With the score even at 20-20, the Spartans went on a 4-1 run to go in front 24-21. Upstate held off the Dolphins to win 25-23.
- Set Two: The Spartans opened the second set by scoring six straight points and led 7-2 following a kill from Rebecca Shearer. Jacksonville used an 11-6 run to tie the frame at 13-13, but Upstate responded with a 5-1 run of its own to go back ahead 18-14 courtesy of Brianna Tellschow’s kill. After the Dolphins tied the score again at 19-19, the teams would trade the next ten points. Tellschow and Callie Yeargin scored the final two points as the Spartans took the second set 26-24.
- Set Three: Upstate jumped out to an early 10-6 lead to start the third set and led by four on a service ace from Tamara Kaiser. The Spartans broke the set open with an 8-6 run as Swanson made the score 18-12 with her kill. Jacksonville got as close as four points after that. Upstate concluded the set by recording five of the last six points for the 25-16 victory.
- The Spartans begin a three-game road trip next weekend starting on Friday, Oct. 14 at 6 p.m. against Kennesaw State.