Nashville, Tenn. – Making its first-ever ASUN Volleyball Championship appearance, the fifth-seeded USC Upstate volleyball team defeated No. 4 seed North Florida 3-1 (25-21, 25-23, 21-25, 25-22) inside Lipscomb’s Allen Arena on Thursday evening to advance to the semifinal round.
Upstate improves to 14-18 overall while North Florida ends its season at 18-14.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Callie Yeargin posted a double-double with 15 kills and a career-high 27 digs. Emily Koelling also finished with 11 kills.
- Kaleigh Kelley led the Spartans with 32 digs, followed by Madison Haake with 17 and Montana Swanson contributed 11. Haake added a double-double with 47 assists.
- Gabby O’Connell led the Ospreys with a match-high 21 kills. Morgan Van Alstine had 13 kills followed by Katarina Raicevic with 11.
- North Florida held a 63-57 edge in kills but had 10 service errors compared to two by Upstate. The Spartans held a 110-103 edge in digs.
- Set One: After Upstate claimed the first point of the match thanks to a North Florida attack error, the Ospreys pulled ahead 8-5 following a Van Alstine kill. The Spartans tied the set at 8-8 following a Brianna Tellschow kill. The teams would trade the lead twice before a 4-0 Upstate run gave it a 16-15 advantage. The Spartans pushed their lead out to 23-19 before North Florida pulled back to within two following a kill and service ace. A Koelling kill, followed by an Osprey attack error, gave Upstate a 25-21 opening set win.
- Set Two: North Florida used a 4-1 run to break a 7-7 tie for an 11-8 edge. A pair of Yeargin kills and Osprey errors brought the Spartans to within one, 14-13, but North Florida answered with three straight points to go in front 17-14. Alexa Lagaly tied the set at 18-18 with a service ace before a 3-0 run by the Ospreys gave them a 21-18 lead. Upstate answered with a 5-0 run of its own, capped by a Haake kill, for a 23-21 edge. North Florida would cut the Spartan lead to one on two occasions before an Osprey service error ended the set.
- Set Three: The third set featured nine ties and four lead changes but none following the 13th With the score tied at 13-13, North Florida went on a 3-0 run before Upstate scored consecutive points to cut its deficit down to 16-15. The Ospreys scored the next five points to lead 21-15 before three straight attack errors brought the Spartans back to within three, 21-18. A bad set and a kill from Koelling brought Upstate to within 23-21 before North Florida clinched the set courtesy of a pair of kills.
- Set Four: The Spartans raced out to a 6-2 lead thanks to a Dominique Arnold kill. The Ospreys would answer with a 5-1 run to lead 9-8. After a 10-10 tie, the teams would trade the lead multiple times with neither enjoying more than a two-point advantage. A Tellschow kill followed by a Lagaly service ace gave Upstate a 22-21 lead, only to see North Florida tie the set on the next point. Kills from Haake and Koelling gave the Spartans a 24-22 lead before a ball handling error ended the match.
- Upstate faces top-seeded, and tournament host, Lipscomb on Friday evening at 6 p.m. EST