Charleston, S.C. – Michael Buchanan and Mike Cunningham each scored over 20 points as the USC Upstate men’s basketball team concluded play at the Holy City Hoops Classic on Sunday afternoon with a 71-65 win over the Colgate Raiders from McAlister Field House.
Upstate evens its record at 5-5 on the season while Colgate falls to 2-7 overall.
Buchanan had a game-high 24 points for the Spartans on 9-of-15 shooting and recorded his fourth double-double of the season, and second at the Holy City Hoops Classic, after tying his career-high of 15 rebounds. Cunningham came off the bench to score 20 points and Josh Cuthbertson added 10. Jordan Swopshire led the Raiders with 16 points.
- Jure Span capped a 10-3 run for Upstate to begin the game as it led by seven points just under four minutes into the contest after his layup.
- Swopshire and Will Rayman answered for Colgate with three straight 3-pointers to give the Raiders their first lead of the game at 12-10 less than three minutes later.
- The Spartans came back and took a 22-17 lead at the 8:08 mark when Cuthbertson connected on a 3-pointer.
- Over the final 6:12 of the first half, Colgate outscored Upstate 16-7 and held a 38-29 lead at halftime. The Raiders led by as many as 10 points, 37-27, with 2:35 remaining on a 3-pointer by Swopshire.
- Colgate led by at least three points during the opening seven minutes of the second half until Cunningham put the Spartans back in front 47-46 following his 3-pointer with 12:18 to go. The triple was part of an 11-2 run for Upstate over nearly a four-minute span and went up 53-48 with 9:21 left on a jumper by Cuthbertson.
- Cuthbertson later hit a 3-pointer to increase the Spartans lead out to 59-53 at the 7:30 mark.
- Upstate held the lead the rest of the way and led by at least three points over the final 6:02.
- The Spartans took their largest lead of the game, eight points, twice during that stretch beginning with 4:38 remaining on a jumper from Buchanan as Upstate went ahead 64-56.
- After Jordan Robertson cut the Raiders deficit down to 64-61 with 1:58 left, the Spartans finished the game on a 7-4 run for the 71-65 victory. Buchanan and Cunningham scored Upstate’s final seven points with five coming at the free-throw line.
- Buchanan’s final two free-throws with four seconds remaining secured the six-point victory for the Spartans.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Buchanan now has 14 double-doubles in his career with all four this season coming in the last six games. He also added two assists and two blocks in the contest.
- Span dished out a season-high seven assists to lead all players while Cuthbertson contributed four.
- Thompkins joined Buchanan with two blocks, and Span and Cunningham compiled two steals each.
- Sean O’Brien finished with 12 points for Colgate and Malcolm Regisford pulled down a team-high 10 rebounds.
- Upstate finished the game shooting 42.2 percent (27-of-64) and held a 47-40 advantage in rebounds.
- The Spartans also led the Raiders 30-16 in points in the paint, 13-9 in points off turnovers, 19-11 in second chance points, 4-2 in fast break points and 20-18 in points from the bench.
- After spending the last seven games on the road, Upstate returns to the Hodge Center on Saturday, Dec. 10 as it hosts Virginia-Wise at 2 p.m.