Spartanburg, S.C. – Raven Jefferson scored a career-high 30 points and pulled down 10 rebounds for her first career double-double as the USC Upstate women’s basketball team defeated Bob Jones 92-50 in the Hodge Center on Saturday afternoon.
Upstate improves to 4-5 while Bob Jones drops to 4-7.
Jefferson is the first Spartan to eclipse the 30-point mark since Brittney Starling scored 30 at College of Charleston on Dec. 30, 2014 and was 11-for-17 from the field. She also tied a career-high with six steals. A’Lexxus Davis finished with a career-best 14 points with Vanessa Agrusa adding 13 and Riley Popplewell 10. Brittney Delva had a career-high eight assists.
Sarah Thomsen scored 13 points to lead Bob Jones while Sydney Bedsaul and Sha’Ron Brunson added 11 and 10 points, respectively.
- Thomsen gave the Bruins an early 2-0 lead and brought Bob Jones to within two, 7-5, at the 6:52 mark. The Spartans would go on a 14-0 run to lead 21-5 following a Delva free throw with 3:59 remaining. Upstate led 26-12 after the first quarter.
- The Spartans held Bob Jones to six points in the second quarter and led 47-18 at halftime.
- Popplewell’s layup at the 6:53 mark of the third quarter gave the Spartans a 53-23 lead. Bob Jones pulled to within 24 following a Brianna Delaney 3-pointer with 2:12 remaining. Upstate led 65-39 at the end of the period.
- A Davis jumper gave Upstate an 84-44 lead with 3:44 left. Brunson sank a 3-pointer with 15 seconds remaining for the final points of the contest.
By the Numbers
- Upstate outrebounded Bob Jones 50-43.
- The 27-point output by Upstate in the fourth quarter was the most by either team in the game.
- Upstate’s bench outscored the Bruin reserves 28-2.
- The Spartans scored 32 points off of 30 Bob Jones turnovers.
- Upstate went 35-for-79 (44.3 percent) from the field while Bob Jones was 18-for-58 (31.0 percent).
- Upstate travels to No. 16 West Virginia next Saturday, Dec. 10 for a 6:30 p.m. contest.