Charleston, S.C. – The USC Upstate softball team closed out play at the Wingate by Wyndham Invitational on Sunday afternoon recording one victory over host Charleston Southern while being edged in its first game against 17th-ranked Missouri from CSU Softball Field.
Upstate’s record now sits at 4-2 on the season, while Missouri is 4-1 and Charleston Southern 2-5.
The Spartans began the day with a 1-0 loss to Missouri before coming back with a 4-1 win against Charleston Southern.
GAME ONE – USC UPSTATE 0, #17 MISSOURI 1
- Bottom 3rd – Missouri scored the game’s only run with one out in the third on a solo home run to left field by Paige Bange.
- Madi Norman (2-0) earned the win after tossing a complete game and did not allow a run on five hits, one walk and six strikeouts.
- Lexi Shubert (2-1) suffered the loss after pitching her third straight complete game to start the season, and gave up one run on one hit to go with two walks and five strikeouts.
- Karla Beasley and Abbie Millete both led Upstate offensively with two hits apiece, and Brittany Case added one hit.
- Bange had the only hit for Missouri.
GAME TWO – USC UPSTATE 4, CHARLESTON SOUTHERN 1
- Top 2nd – The Spartans got on the board first with one out in the second to take a 1-0 lead. Millete led off the inning with a double and was pinch-run for by Kristen Wright. A Charleston Southern throwing error allowed Wright to score from second base.
- Top 5th – Upstate added to its lead at 3-0 on a two RBI double by Case. The double allowed Kendsey Chappelear and Ansley Gilstrap to score from second and third, respectively.
- Bottom 5th – Charleston Southern cut into the Spartans lead at 3-1 on a solo homer to right center field by Georgi DeLio.
- Top 7th – Another Charleston Southern error allowed Upstate to push its lead back to three runs at 4-1. Case, who singled the previous at-bat, scored from second base after Beasley reached on an error by the Charleston Southern left fielder.
- Holly McKinnon (2-1) also tossed her third straight complete game of the season and surrendered just one run on three hits, two walks and seven strikeouts.
- Arizona Pilgrim (1-3) took the loss after giving up four runs (none earned) on eight hits, one walk and three strikeouts in seven innings of work.
- Case was one of two Spartans to compile two hits in the game along with Millete.
- Gilstrap, Chappelear, Megan Obier and Ryan Rector all had one hit.
- Case drove in a game-high two RBI for Upstate.
- Delio, Stevi Johnson and Mallory Kasinger posted one hit apiece for Charleston Southern, and Delio had one RBI.
- The Spartans turned a triple play in the bottom of the fourth after Charleston Southern had runners on first and second with no outs. A failed bunt attempt allowed the Upstate defense to get both runners out and end the inning.
- The Spartans return home next weekend to host Campbell, Iona, Georgetown, Colgate and Presbyterian College in the USC Upstate Classic.