Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate baseball team scored three runs in the seventh inning to erase a 3-2 deficit as the Spartans defeated Quinnipiac 5-3 at Harley Park on Sunday afternoon.
Upstate is 11-11 while Quinnipiac is 7-10.
- Top 3rd – Anthony Cruz doubled and scored on a Mike Palladino single.
- Bottom 3rd – Devon Ortiz reached on a walk and scored on a Charlie Carpenter single.
- Bottom 4th – Drake Harris reached on a triple and scored on a Pat Raiff sacrifice fly.
- Top 6th – Quinnipiac scored runs on singles by Joseph Burns and Brian Moskey to take a 3-2 lead.
- Bottom 7th – Harris opened the inning with a double, advanced to third on a Raiff single and scored on a fielder’s choice. Zach Krider scored on a Devon Ortiz sacrifice fly while Russell Schwertfeger scored on a Hunter Gilbert single.
- Harris, Gilbert, Schwertfeger and Brendan Brundage each had two hits to lead the Spartans.
- Matthew Batten went 3-for-4 with two doubles and a single to lead Quinnipiac.
- Blake Whitney (2-2) earned the win as he allowed one hit with a walk and two strikeouts in an inning of work.
- Bryan Hathaway (1) recorded the save with two scoreless innings.
- Andrew Workman (2-1) suffered the loss after he allowed three runs on four hits in 1.2 innings.
- Upstate outhit Quinnipiac 10-8.
- Upstate hosts Charleston Southern on Tuesday at 6 p.m.