USC Upstate used a six-run seventh inning to defeat Longwood 10-5 in a non-conference game at Harley Park on Tuesday afternoon.
Upstate improves to 6-8 while Longwood falls to 5-8.
- Top 1st – Sammy Miller led off the game with a single and scored on an Alex Lewis single.
- Bottom 3rd – Brendan Brundage’s two-run single gave the Spartans a 2-1 lead.
- Top 5th – Antwaun Tucker led off the inning with a single and advanced to third on a Michael Osinski single. Tucker scored on a Justin Mitchell single to tie the game. Longwood took a 3-2 lead on a Carlos Garrido single.
- Bottom 5th – Devon Ortiz reached on a one-out double and tied the game after scoring on a J.J. Shimko double.
- Bottom 6th – Russell Schwertfeger led off the inning with a single and scored on a Zach Krider double.
- Bottom 7th – Upstate scored six runs on three hits to take control of the game. A pair of walks followed by a bunt single loaded the bases. After a fielder’s choice got the lead runner at home, Schwertfeger drove in a run with a single. Jordan Miller worked a bases-loaded walk to score a run, followed by a two-run single by Krider. The Spartans added a run on a bases-loaded walk to Hunter Gilbert with the final run scoring on an Ortiz sacrifice fly.
- Top 8th – Ryan Schull scored on a Miller double while Miller scored on a Mitchell double.
- Schwertfeger went 4-for-5 with three singles, a triple and an RBI.
- Krider went 2-for-4 with a single, double and three RBI.
- Brundage went 2-for-5 with two singles and two RBI.
- Miller, Mitchell, Shull and Nate Blakeney each had two hits for Longwood.
- Sam Rogers (1-0) earned the win after allowing two runs on three hits in 2.2 innings.
- Travis Riley (0-2) took the loss after he allowed four runs (three earned) on seven hits in 6.0 innings.
- Longwood committed three errors in the game, with Riley responsible for two of them.
- Upstate hosts La Salle on Wednesday at 4 p.m.