The USC Upstate men’s golf team finished play at the Cleveland Golf Palmetto Intercollegiate on Tuesday afternoon, finishing the tournament with a final round 307 to finish 18th, while Matt Carter paced the Spartans for the second straight day at the par 70, 6617-yard Palmetto Golf Club.
Carter led the way for Upstate again on Tuesday. He fired the low round of the day for the Spartans, a 73, and finished the 54-hole tournament tied for 42nd with a 221 (70-78-73) total.
Clemson carded a final round 289 to win the Cleveland Golf Palmetto Intercollegiate by one stroke over Virginia at 5-under 835. Virginia’s Derek Bard took home individual medalist honors after shooting a 6-under 204 for the tournament.
The Cleveland Golf Palmetto Intercollegiate field featured four of the top 50 teams in the Golfstat rankings in Virginia (No. 3), Clemson (No. 16), Liberty (No. 36) and South Carolina (No. 39). The Palmetto Golf Club is currently designated as the fourth-oldest golf course in the United States.
Jordan Warnock and Taylor White each finished the tournament with third round scores of 77. Warnock was six strokes back of Carter in a tie for 65th place at 227 (74-76-77) while White tied for 77th with a combined score of 232 (77-78-77). Hunter Fry and Sam Merrell posted back-to-back scores of 80 to round out the tournament for Upstate in a tie for 84th and 87th place, respectively. Fry totaled a two-day 235 (79-76-80) and Merrell a 242 (79-83-80).
The Spartans return to the course on Monday, March 13 at the Southern Intercollegiate in Athens, Ga.
- Carter and Warnock both finished among the tournament’s best players in par 3 scoring as Warnock was 1-under with a 2.92 stroke average and Carter was even-par to go with a 3.00 stroke average.
- Carter also ranked in the tournament field with nine birdies while Warnock contributed 34 pars.
- Upstate totaled 13 more birdies on Tuesday, led by five from Merrell, to combine for 28 in the tournament. White also contributed four birdies, and Carter and Fry each had two.
- Carter led the Spartans with nine birdies during the Cleveland Golf Palmetto Intercollegiate and White added seven. Merrell collected five birdies, and Fry had four and Warnock three.
- Carter and White have combined to post scores in the 70’s in their last 17 rounds. Carter has recorded scores in the 70’s in his last 10 rounds and White in seven consecutive. White has also carded scores in the 70’s in 13 of his last 14 rounds.