Spartan Speaker Series Presents An Every Day Hero

November 2, 2013 at 12:00 pm

The USC Upstate Spartan Speaker Lecture Series will present “ResponseAbility: Being an Every Day Hero,” at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 5 in the Sansbury Campus Life Center Ballroom.

The speaker for the event is Mike Dilbeck.

DurinMike Dilbeckg the series, Dilbeck reveals the nature of bystander behavior and the barriers many of us feel when we consider whether or not to act—those that get in the way of being a hero to other people, organizations and issues. Students will learn how to seize the opportunity to act and how this can dramatically change their campus. Dilbeck concentrates on giving his audience three powerful life skills to use whenever they see unhealthy or negative behavior among their peers, in their classes, on their campuses and in their lives:

In a non-confrontational style, Dilbeck reveals how we all participate in bystander behavior and includes situations where he, himself, witnessed harmful situations and let them occur without intervening. He also emphasizes that these life skills go beyond the campus, and equips students to deal with problems as they see them happening around them. This is our opportunity to empower the 80 percent of students who make the right choices. It’s time for them to stand up, say something and act when they see the other 20 percent making choices that bring down their communities.

Dilbeck is a Chicago-based filmmaker turned advocate. Since 1990, he has created educational projects aimed at empowering young people. He has produced more than 60 educational and promotional film projects for higher education organizations over the past two decades, earning awards and a reputation for challenging negative social norms in college student communities. He now dedicates himself full-time to the RESPONSE ABILITY Project and its newest initiative: the Every|Day Hero Campaign. He is a member of Sigma Nu Fraternity and founded his chapter at Texas Christian University. He also served his international fraternity as Assistant Executive Director.

The Spartan Speaker Lecture Series (S3) was created to contribute to the intellectual development of USC Upstate students through the presentation of interesting and relevant information on a variety of scholastic and community oriented interests. Sponsored by the Office of Student Life, S3 Lectures are FREE for USC Upstate students, faculty, and staff.

For additional information regarding speakers and upcoming S3 events, please contact the Office of Student Life at (864) 503-5122.